Communication and content strategist
Presentation of the university
The University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia’s largest private employer, is a world-renowned leader in education, research and innovation. This historic Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual US News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly regarded schools that offer undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education opportunities, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer, Penn has been repeatedly ranked nationally with the most recent award from Forbes which named Penn one of America’s Top Employers by State for 2021.
Penn offers a unique work environment in the city of Philadelphia. The University is located on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, vibrant cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous pension benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities , social and family benefits, a multitude of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Vaccination against COVID-19 is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New recruits are expected to be fully vaccinated before commencing work at the University. For more information on Penn’s vaccine requirements and Penn Open Pass usage, visit https://coronavirus.upenn.edu/ for the latest information.
Job title posted
Communication and content strategist
Job profile title
Job Description Summary
The Penn IUR Communications and Content Strategist oversees Penn IUR’s publishing and communications activities. They are responsible for the production and distribution of Penn IUR publications, including self-published reports, newsletters, and the monthly electronic digest, Urban Link. They work with internal and external authors from many disciplines and sectors, primarily Penn IUR co-directors, faculty members, and research staff, to produce written articles that reach a wide variety of audiences, including academics, students, policy makers, practitioners and the interested public. They serve as editor, development editor and writer – writing original content ranging from articles and interviews to press releases and the Institute’s annual report. They strategize on the most effective ways to distribute materials through Penn IUR’s various communication channels, including the website, digital publications and social media accounts. The Communications and Content Strategist is part of a core team that ensures Penn IUR content meets the highest standards and is widely distributed.
- Oversee the editing and production of Penn IUR communications materials such as the bi-annual newsletter (the Institute registration document including conducting interviews, writing original content and editing), Urban Link, annual report, website text and press releases.
- Edit and contribute to self-published Penn IUR reports (dissertations, educational case studies, and special reports).
- Collect and analyze metrics to assess the effectiveness of communication tools and strategies.
- Oversee Penn IUR social media accounts such as Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook; direct Penn IUR staff (program coordinator and/or student workers) on the regular maintenance of these accounts.
- Perform additional duties as required in the areas of communications, writing and publications.
Master’s degree required. A strong background in urban studies, public policy or writing, editing, journalism (with a broad knowledge of urban topics) or related fields at the master’s level is required. Applicants should have 3-5 years of work experience. Must be able to work independently, but collaboratively as part of a goal-oriented team. In addition to excellent written skills, candidates should have excellent oral and interpersonal communication skills and be able to work on multiple projects within deadlines. Graphic communication skills preferred, including experience with Adobe Creative Suite. Experience working with academics, policymakers, and other senior executives (private, public, and not-for-profit) is a plus.
This is a funded position that may be extended based on grant renewals and/or new grant awards.
A cover letter and curriculum vitae/CV are required to be considered for this position. Please upload your cover letter where it asks you to upload your curriculum vitae/CV; multiple documents are allowed.
Target compensation range:
$78,000 to $82,000 depending on education and experience.
Place of work – City, State
Department / School
Provost Interdisciplinary Programs
$51,824.00 – $78,096.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after conditional job offer. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the position.
- Health, life and flexible spending accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision and life insurance benefits to protect you and your health and well-being and that of your family. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn’s exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching and Supplemental Retirement Plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time away from work: Penn grants you a significant time off from work during the year. It allows you to relax, take a vacation, take care of personal matters, recover from illness or injury, spend time with your family, whatever your personal needs are.
- Long-term care insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help cover some of the costs of long-term care services received in your home, community or in a nursing facility. If you apply as a new hire, you will not have to provide proof of good health or be subject to any underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must still provide proof of good health and are subject to subscription.
- Wellbeing and working life resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you take care of your health, your family and your work-life balance.
- Professional and personal development: Penn provides a range of resources to help you grow personally and professionally.
- University resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of academic resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something happening at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest musical or theatrical presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field, to name a few. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitement, and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and special services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you’ll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn Arts and Culture Centers and Museums offer free and discounted admissions and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cell phone plans, movie tickets and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible working hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches to completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve the use of non-traditional working hours, locations and/or employment structures.
- Penn Homeownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan to eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia that can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Help with adoption: Penn will reimburse eligible employees for eligible expenses related to the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions into your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3169905
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.