Opponent: Gopher waffles
Dated: Wednesday 5 January 2022
Site: Hill Field House, Baltimore, Maryland
Game time: 5 p.m. EST
Radio: Heritage sports radio network (HSRN.com)
Live Statistics: here
MSU Coaches: MSU – Kevin broadus (70-56, 3rd grade) • GU – Tom Rose (7th grade)
Websites: www.MorganStateBears.com | www.athletics.goucher.edu
Morgan State (4-7) will continue the non-conference action when they host the Goucher Gophers (3-8) on Wednesday, Jan.5. The Bears have been inactive since December 18 when they fell in Mount Saint Mary’s. Goucher (3-8) was scheduled to face another Division I opponent in one exhibit, Loyola University Maryland, earlier this season, but that game was ultimately called off. Goucher’s game against Morgan will also be recorded as an exhibition game for the Gophers. The game will be streamed on morganstatebears.com and broadcast by HSRN.com. Departure is at 5 p.m.
Wednesday’s competition will mark the first meeting between the schools.
SCOUTING THE GOPHERS
Goucher participates in Wednesday’s contest after an 80-70 loss to Johnson and Wales University (RI) in the consolation round of Albright’s Double Tree Holiday tournament on December 30. Cam Isaacs paced four double-digit Gophers with 20 points while registering five rebounds and three assists. Ryan condé finished with 13 points while adding seven assists, seven rebounds and five steals. Goucher shot 40.9% from the ground, went 9-15 to the strip and was 7-24 behind the arc.
• Goucher, a member of the Landmark Conference (CAA) and NCAA Division III, begins the seventh season under Tom rose … Rose, a Goucher alumnus, was previously the head coach of boys’ basketball at Lady of Mount Carmel High School in Middle River, Maryland from 2002 to 2015 … He coached Lady of Mount Carmel to the MIAA playoffs in 10 of his 13 seasons and has reached the conference championship game five times.
• The Gophers didn’t compete at all in the 2020-21 season … Goucher finished the 2019-20 season 6-19 in the regular season and went 3-11 in conference action.
• The Gophers are currently 3-8 in total and 0-1 in conference.
• Senior guard 5-10 Cam Isaacs (Randallstown, Md.) Leads the Gophers with an average of 13.7 points per game, shooting 38.6% from field and 35.7% from 3-point territory. Junior Guard 6-3 Josh lichti has an average of 9.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg and shoots 46.7% from the ground, followed by 6-4 freshman John dixon (Towson, Md.) With 8.0 points per game and junior guard 6-5 Octavius johnson generates 6.0 points per game and shoots 47.1% from the field.
• The Gophers are averaging 57.5 points per game, while keeping their opponents at 56.0 points.
• Goucher shoots 38.6 percent from the field and 28.7 percent from beyond the arc.
• The Bears are currently averaging 74.4 points (No. 2 in MEAC) in 11 games.
• Morgan exploded for 118 points in its 2021-22 season opener against St. Mary’s College of Maryland and followed up with a 126-71 victory over Penn State Allegheny.
• The Bears are shooting 43.4% from the field (ranked # 4) and 28.0% from beyond the arc (# 8).
• Morgan led the MEAC with an average of 79.8 points in 22 games of the 2020-21 season.
• They scored a season 102 high in a home win over Lincoln-Pa. (December 1, 2020).
• MSU also led MEAC in offensive rebounds (39.7 on average).
Thanks to games played on Sunday, December 19, Morgan ranked No. 8 in the country in terms of revenue margin (ratio of 6.6, with 164 turnovers and 237 opponents’ turnovers).
• Sherwyn Devonish recorded 38 assists and 14 turnovers and currently ranks 43rd in the country in assists ratio.
Morgan started the 2021-2022 campaign by allowing opponents 75.1 points per game (ranked No.6 in MEAC) and 44.8% shots from the field (No.8).
• MSU’s opponents shot an average 39.8% clip beyond the arc… the latter ranks last in the conference.
• Morgan’s defensive forces 21.5 turnovers per game rank second in the country… MSU’s 10.5 interceptions per game rank second. 34 in the country.
THE CHARITY BAND
The Bears’ return squad includes six players who shot at least 70 percent from the free throw line last season.
• Morgan converted 64.7 percent (145-224, 7th MEAC) from the 11-game mark.
• Lagio Grantsaan Currently shoots 66.7% (28-42; No. 10 in MEAC) of the strip to lead the Bears.
• Last season Morgan shot 73.9% (369-499; ranked No. 1 in MEAC) from the strip, led by De’Torrion Ware who shot 83.2 percent (84-101; ranked No.5) and Malik miller 71.6 percent (58-81; ranked No. 10).
HOW TO WATCH THE GAMES: All men’s and women’s basketball home games will be video streamed for free on the MorganStateBears.com website. The latest broadcast and video feed information will always be listed on the men’s and women’s basketball schedule pages at MorganStateBears.com.
MEN’S AND WOMEN’S BASKETBALL RADIO: All home and select away games for MSU men’s and women’s basketball will again be available through Heritage Sports Radio Network (HSRN.com). Lamont Germany will handle play-by-play responsibilities and will also host pre-match and post-match broadcasts. Including exclusive interviews with team members and the female coach Ed davis and male trainer Kevin broadus. Fans can download the HSRN app for free and listen to MSU broadcasts from anywhere. Just look for HSRN when using the iHeartRadio app.
FOLLOW MORGAN STATE ATHLETICS IN CYBERSPACE
There are many ways to track MSU athletics in line and on the move:
• Visit www.morganstatebears.com, the official Bears Athletics website, for news, schedules, stats, bios and more.
• Follow us on social networks:
Facebook: / MorganStateBears
Instagram: / MorganStateBears
Morgan State University, founded in 1867, is a Carnegie listed university high search (R2) institution offering nearly 140 academic programs leading to baccalaureate and doctoral degrees. Like maryland Preeminent Public Urban Research University, and the only university to have its entire campus designated as national treasure through the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Morgan serves a multiethnic, multiracial student body and seeks to ensure that the doors to higher education are opened as wide as possible to as many people as possible. For more information on Morgan State University, visit www.morgan.edu.