- Melbourne Burwood Campus
- Full-time and continuous positions
- Level B $ 100,837 – $ 119,266 OR Level C – $ 122,950 – $ 141,381 + 17% retirement pension
Deakin Law School (DLS) is a leading provider of legal education equipping the next generation of lawyers and legal professionals for global careers. DLS encompasses a wide range of areas of study and research including intellectual property, corporate governance, IT law, health law, sentencing and criminal justice, migration law, energy and natural resources law as well as all basic legal units. DLS also includes specialized legal clinics that function as a community legal center that provides students with an important opportunity to work under supervision on real cases with real clients.
We currently have two exciting opportunities for legal professionals or experienced academics to join the School in continuing positions where successful applicants will undertake teaching, research and program development, primarily in the areas of Company law and commercial law.
You will actively participate in teaching, in particular by contributing significantly to innovative teaching and by carrying out activities to maintain and develop your university research and / or your professional activities relevant to the profession. If you are successful in securing a position, you will need to undertake research and publish in quality, world-class journals. You will be involved in law school research and participate in competitive external research funding activities. You will participate in academic and professional service and engagement, industry partnerships and professional activities that will enhance the scientific reputation of the University.
To be successful, you will have:
- A doctorate / terminal degree in law and other relevant qualifications and experience.
- An excellent record of science learning and teaching in UG and / or PG programs, including experience in curriculum design.
- An emerging reputation in research and scholarship through publications and / or success in obtaining external research funding.
- The ability to contribute to community engagement in research and education.
- The ability to contribute to leadership in teaching, research and / or administration.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues.
- A commitment to foster relationships with research, community, industry, government and professional partners, and with other higher education institutions.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- Provide learner-centered, research-based teaching practices at different levels / modes of delivery.
- Contribute to the review of units and courses and implement improvements.
- Provide clear assessment criteria and timely feedback to learners, monitoring and adapting assessment practices to facilitate and improve learning outcomes.
- Develop effective unit-level assessment tasks and rubrics to improve learning outcomes.
- Initiate, design and conduct high quality research activities generating high impact results.
- Communicate research results widely to the discipline, profession, other sectors and the community, nationally and internationally, ensuring impact on the ground and in the community.
- Support research funding requests that influence policy, strategy or result in real impact.
- Build a national reputation, based on the development of a set of targeted works recognized for their quality, excellence and impact.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the University’s strategic agenda through formal and informal leadership and by contributing to the achievement of key outcomes.
Applications for this position closes on January 25, 2022.
Please submit your resume, answers to key selection criteria and a short cover letter outlining your skills and experience for this role.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Professor Jenni Lightowlers, Dean, Deakin Law School, at [email protected]
This role requires that successful applicants have and maintain a Working with children (see Deakin Recruitment Procedure for details).
Are you ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the community at large.
Our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse work environment with opportunities for growth and career development. We believe that a progressive and thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come and stay at Deakin and contribute to our continued success.
We value diversity and aim to create an inclusive environment that defends, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, as well as people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientations and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse and we recognize that academic careers can be put on hold in many life circumstances. Achievements versus opportunities place more emphasis on the quality than the quantity of research results. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your accomplishments in relation to the opportunity.